Oh my gosh this is good. I will just stand in front of a pot of soup and tweak it until it is just right. My daughter and husband said I must share this one with you so here it is. Rich, savory and velvety vegan soup that should be a humble shared experience.
Broccoli Potato Soup
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups broccoli florets, prepared into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups finely cubed potatoes (I like the smaller potatoes and I keep the peel on)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- One onion, peeled and finely chopped
- one tablespoon cold pressed avocado or olive oil Buy
- 2 cups almond milk
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- Additionally one more cup almond milk
- 1 cup raw cashews Buy
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast Buy
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder Buy
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika Buy
- himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- stock pot for soup
- high speed blender Buy
Add carrots, onion and garlic to the stock pot. Add the oil and smoked paprika and saute until onion is translucent and the carrots begin to soften.
Add water/vegetable broth and 2 cups of almond milk to the pot and heat through. When liquid is steaming add potatoes and bring to a boil. Let simmer for about five minutes. Then add the broccoli florets.
In the meantime, add cashews, one cup of almond milk, nutritional yeast and arrowroot powder to a high speed blender. Blend ingredients until smooth and creamy.
Add the mixture to the soup and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with additional nutritional yeast or green onions for a delicious pop of flavor.