Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 4 large acorn squash
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raw pecans, coarsely chopped
- One lemon-- squeezed
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage, or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme, or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, or 1 tsp dried
- organic avocado oil spray or olive oil spray
- himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- baking sheet for squash
Halve the acorn squash and scoop out the seeds. Spray a baking sheet with avocado oil and place the squash facing down, with the shells up. Roast at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to package directions.
In a saute pan, coat the pan with avocado oil spray and add garlic and herbs and saute for about one minute. Then add onions and pecans and saute for about 5 minutes more or until the onion is translucent. Squeeze the lemon into the pan. Add salt and pepper here at your discretion.
In a large bowl, mix the 2 cups of cooked quinoa and the sauteed onion mixture. When mixed together, scoop out mixture in spoonfuls until it is neatly mounded up in the acorn squash.
In a covered dish, heat the squash in 375 degree oven for about 20 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.